Friday, August 7, 2009

Genealogy connects past with present

Today one of my grandsons experienced a family history moment. His aunt and cousin took a side trip to Coldspring, Texas in San Jacinto County where his great-grandmother Opal Murriel Gray Hollingsworth graduated from high school in 1933.

It was a unique experience because the grandson lives in Oklahoma. He was traveling on his way home when his aunt saw a highway sign on I-45 north of Houston that led them to Coldspring. None of us had been to Coldspring until this summer of 2009 when I went to Coldspring for some family history research.

Coldspring is a very small town of about 2,000 people and the county seat of San Jacinto County. Both Opal Murriel Gray Hollingsworth and her older sister Lois Azalee Gray Snow graduated from Jones High School in 1932 and 1933. The building burned down several years ago, but there are pictures of the building in old newspaper articles at the library.

Now I know that our family genealogy will live on, not only with my children, but with my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please write constructive or positive comments about this blog web site.